Monday, October 25, 2021

31 Days of "Spooky" Music Day 25: "Doctor Who" Theme

      Okay, so there's nothing particularly "spooky" sci-fi TV heavy hitter "Doctor Who" (although it certainly can be when the writers put their minds to it), but its theme is absolutely iconic and anywhere fro beautiful to forebodingly epic, depending on which version you are listening to.


     I was going to say that this is another song perhaps better suited to the soundtrack for trick or treaters, but I an listening to one of the videos I am linking to below as I write this, and I think you could actually dance to this, or at least some versions of it.


     Like a lot of people, this is a series that I bring up with my from childhood, growing up watching it at 7:30 pm every night on a local PBS station (and they would play a full storyline on Saturday nights, but I generally fell asleep during it).


     If you are interested, my favourite Doctors are Tom Baker (my first Doctor, and the most memorable one of my childhood) and David Tennant (who, kind of like how Johnny Depp just plays some version of his Hunter S. Thompson in everything, basically just still plays his version of the Doctor in most everything he is cast in). 


     And while I am saying divisive things, I'll weigh in on the current Doctor as well. I think Jodie Whittaker is a fantastic actress, I loved her in "Attack the Block" and "Broadchurch", and I think she could be a great Doctor if the writers could just sort themselves out. Matt Smith had a similar problem his first series, but they pretty much sorted it out by his second, meanwhile Whittaker is entering her last year in the role and they still have not figured out how to use her well (all my opinion, obviously). 


     Anyway, enough hot takes. How about some music?


     I was going to find a number of versions of the theme song, but then I found that The 1-CrazyBunny had already combined them into a nearly 40 minute compilation, so let's just put that here:



     In case you don't think the song is dance-to-able in any of its normal forms, here is a version you can perhaps groove to a little better:





     This is not actually on my playlist, but maybe it should be. It's a weird oddity of a song that I have wondered about since I saw the video for "Doctorin' the TARDIS" as a child. I don't know if the song separated from its video really conveys all the weirdness of it though:



No comments: