Sunday, October 24, 2021

31 Days of "Spooky" Music Day 24: Ghost Riders in the Sky

      I do not count myself as a fan of country music in general. Sure, there are the occasional "The Gambler" and "They Highwayman" that I genuinely enjoy, but for the most part it is a a genre I avoid. I would count "Ghost Riders in the Sky" as one of those occasional exceptions though, and I expect that it will end up being the only country song on this list.


     If you are somehow unaware of this song, it tells the story of a man who witnesses a stampeding herd of demonic cattle being pursued by a group of cowboys cursed to chase after them forever. The riders offer the man a warning that if he does not change his ways, he will be joining them as one of the titular ghost riders in the sky. It is a good, truly American ghost story told in a classic song that has been performed many ways by many artists.


     Here is a live version by The Highwaymen (for my money, the best country group that ever existed):



    Here we have the man in black himself:


I believe is the original version from 1948, but I could be wrong:



The song is not limited to pure country though, as it does adapt well to electric guitars, as in this version from "Ghost Rider"


No comments: