Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Worlds Collide

So my little rambling yesterday about the five minutes I spent watching some televangelist got something that most of my posts never get: confirmation that someone is actually reading them. This confirmation was in the form of a comment from someone named “Kat”. Now I'm not sure if this is the Kat that I know in real life or not, but either way, “Hello, Kat!” **waves**. Of course the thing that really surprises me about getting a comment on a post like that is that I never publicized its being posted; not on my Twitter, Facebook, or Tumblr, so unless Kat follows my blog normally, she must have just stumbled onto it, which is interesting.

So I've decided to try and liven things up around here by posting something other than movie reviews and the very rare Early Morning Amusement video. Sure, I'll likely grow bored of this when I finish my Typewriter Challenge story (which is going nicely) and start on something new or go back to the Mallville re-write, but for now, lets ramble a bit.

I picked up a new Apocalyptica album over the weekend, and by new I mean new to me, not a new release. The album I got was “Worlds Collide”,which came out back in 2007. I've listened to it a couple of times, while nothing has instantly grabbed me like some of the songs on “7th Symphony” did there are a couple that are growing on me.

The first is “I Don't Care” featuring Adam Gontier of Three Days Grace:



And the other is “I'm Not Jesus” featuring Corey Taylor from Slipknot:



I would like to point out here that I am not a fan Slipknot or Three Days Grace; in fact my metal tastes generally begin and end with Megadeth and Metallica from my teenage years, but Apocalyptica manage to so perfectly make heavy metal beautiful in a way that even surpasses my love of Scott D. Davis' classical piano renditions of Metallica songs.

If you're not familiar with what Apocalyptica is, well the videos above are probably a bit of a hint, but let me explain a bit more. They originally started out as four graduates of the Sibelius Academy in Finland (this is a big deal, this is one of the biggest music schools in Europe, and it is over one hundred years old) who discovered that you could play Metallica songs on the cello, and make them sound awesome. Indeed their first album, “Plays Metallica by Four Cellos” is nothing but covers of Metallica songs. They have gone on since then to add a drummer and vocal artists to turn what could have been a mere novelty group in a seriously beautiful hard rock experience.

I suppose I should point out that I love cover songs done in different styles, which is what attracted me to Apocalyptica in the first place, but their newer, original music is really some of the best rock I have ever heard; especially songs like “Broken Pieces” which features Lacey Mosely from one of my other favourite bands: “Flyleaf”.

Alright, that's enough rambling for today, but seriously, if you have never heard of Apocalyptica, give those videos up there a watch (or more importantly, a listen), and see what you think, and until the next time I get the urge to ramble....

I need a signature line. Mur Lafferty has “Be mighty”, Steve Eley had “Have fun”, I need something.

Keep and eye out for zombies...?

No, I don't think so.

2 comments:

Kat said...

Nope, not the Kat you know in RL, but a Kat that stumbled into the VOID. *wave*

You seemed curious how I got here, so I'll satisfy your curiosity.

I use my Google Reader ALOT. Sometimes I'll peek at who 'likes' the same things I do. One day I noticed that I'd seen a name several times, so I followed them. It turned out great because they shared posts from interesting blogs I'd not seen before.

So I do that occasionally. Sometimes I pick people randomly to follow.

Not sure how I followed the VOID. You 'liked' something I did and your name caught my eye. But when I did, your twitter and blog dumped into my buzz. *snicker*

Anyway, not heard Apocalyptica before. Nice. Love the cellos. I'll check out more of them.

Void Munashii said...

Well it's nice to meet you, and it's always nice to see the whole networking thing working the way it's meant to.

I should check out some of the people who like the things I like on Reader; I have definitely found some interesting sites on there that I did not know about before.