Thursday, October 30, 2008

Random Thoughts: Devil Music

So here I sit at work; I'm listening to my Halloween playlist on my iPod when “Devil Went Down to Georgia” starts playing. The song made me think of Charlie Daniels, which made me think of the whole stink he made about his song being used in a boss battle against the devil in Guitar Hero 3.

Daniels' problem with his song being used in GH3 is that the devil can win. He also takes issue with the “monsters” that appear on stage. That “controversy” over that made me think of the term “Devil Music”. This is how my mind works.

It is true that some rock musicians do use symbols of the devil, demons, etc in their songs, videos, and stage shows, but why? People have been accusing rock music of being from the devil pretty much from the get-go, right? I mean Elvis never used severed goat heads on stage or anything, but he still got attacked by the sort of people who throw that accusation around.

Looking at more modern rockers, like Marilyn Manson, who do use that sort of imagery I have to ask, were the prudes right all along or are the Manson's of the world doing it because they are being accused of it anyway? After all, if someone is going to treat as if you are guilty of something, you might as well be. At the very least, you can get a rise out of them.

Did the people who feared “Devil Music” cause it to come into being, or were they right all along? Just a random thought.

No comments: